Historic Royal Palace - Hillsborough Castle 2015 Conference - Accommodation List now available
Welcome to Northern Ireland Heritage Gardens Committee
The Northern Ireland Heritage Gardens Committee was established in 1980 to prepare and publish an inventory of parks, gardens and demesnes of historic importance within Northern Ireland. Membership was subsequently expanded to broaden the expertise and to bring the committee into contact with other organisations concerned with the management and conservation of our plant and garden heritage.
Brouchure for the 2015 Conference is still available to Download - Click here to LINK to downloadable pdf
Almost 100 People enjoyed a series of lectures and garden visits on Friday 9th, Saturday 10th & Sunday 11 Oct 2015
the Topic of the conference was
"Architecture & Art in Historic Garden Design"
NIHGC were pleased to run the conference in Association with the
in the Historic Royal Palace - Hillsborough Castle
The 2015 Conference was held in Association with UAHS
Dates for your diary Conference 2016
We are pleased to announce the dates for the next conference.
2016 Conference - Friday 7th, Saturday 8th & Sunday 9th. Oct 2016
The well established 3-day format will be adopted.
with a Topic of
"Commemoration Gardens and Gardening"
an exciting venue of Dublin Castle, Rep of Ireland.
Photo Album of the 2014 CONFERENCE
BOTANY OF DESIRE - The Role of Nurseries in the Irish Garden & Beyond
took place from 10th - 12th October 2014 at National Botanic Gardens, Glasnevin, Dublin
See below for pics and reports on the 2013 CONFERENCE - 11th, 12th & 13th October
SOUTHERN GUESTS - PLANTS FROM THE SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE IN OUR GARDENS
Guest Garden Writer or Author. Periodic Publication No.1
From time to time we will bring you the words of well known garden writers or authors.
The first in the series is by Seamus O'Brien, Head Gardener at Kilmacurragh Botanic Gardens.
We are thrilled to offer extracts from his most recent publication"In the Footsteps of Augustine Henry and his Chinese plant collectors" by Seamus O Brien with Forward by Roy Lancaster OBE VMH is Published by the Antique Collectors Club Ltd www.antiquecollectorsclub.com RRP £40.00
Our sincere thanks to Seamus O Brien for his on going committment to and interest in Horticural Heritage in Ireland. Seamus O'Brien manages Kilmacurragh Botanic Gardens, an 18th Century Country Estate belonging to National Botanic Gardens, Glasnevin.
- To ensure that historic parks, gardens and demesnes are preserved and maintained for future generations
- To promote research into the history of gardens and horticulture
- To disseminate information about historic parks, gardens and demesnes
- To assist with the preservation of garden plants
- To encourage greater interest in gardens and gardening
- `Northern Gardens; Gardens and Parks of Outstanding Historic Interest in Northern Ireland' NIHGC, 1982
- `Heritage Gardens Inventory`, Belinda Jupp, 1992
- `Glory of Donard`, E Charles Nelson, 1994
- `Daisy Hill Nursery, Newry: A History of `The Most Interesting Nursery Probably in the World`, E Charles Nelson, 1998